09 October, 2010

There are a lot (aka Hey You Victorian Wannabes!)

of "Christian women" bloggers out there in the ether. They want to bring back the "glorious days" of Victorian England to America. A time when the landed aristocracy sat and drank tea and contemplated their lot while downstairs, poor women slaved and worked to cook their meals, clean their clothes and make sure the tea was hot.


One in particular got such a glossy view of the Victorian era if you were landed and had money and prestige. Her home is filled with frou frou pink cabbage roses and glitter. Her crafts are simplistic and childlike. She stresses lady hood, stay at home wives and the evils of higher education. One of her recent forays into crafts consisted of hanging sheets between some trees to make a tent and a floor made of an upside down flannel tablecloth. Something my kids might have concocted when they were little. She was truing to emulate a scene from a period movie.

My grandparents emigrated from Germany in the 1880's. They didn't have a life of Victorian simplicity, even though they lived in a town. My grandfather worked hard and my grandmother worked before they got married as a seamstress. EVen in the boonies of Central Wisconsin there were haves (lumber barons) and have nots.

My parents both worked. My father was a county sheriff, my mother a nurse. I never felt neglected nor did I feel cheated out of their time. I worked part and full time to help keep our income at a good level. I don't think my children felt neglected.

It aggravates the crap out of me when people try to bring back the good old days which weren't the good old days at all. People got diseases that now are cured with modern medicine. People can travel in comfort and not in a creaking wagon.

Wake up and smell the cabbage roses honey, if you didn't have the internet no one would be there to give you your props for your idiotic ideas.

Blah.

  da bunny  

No comments:

Post a Comment