04 February, 2011

Liturgy for the Ordinary Radical.....that's me.

I ordered a book yesterday from Amazon (I get free shipping) and it came tonight. It's called

Common Prayer, A Liturgy For Ordinary Rebels
by Shane Claiborne, et al


I have always gone to a liturgical church. It's part of my life and when I visited other churches, I felt lost and alone. My husband went to a Covenant Church when he was in Amway because his sponsors told him that it was good for the business. It was a huge church, 7 services over 2 days. But it was cold. They had the obligatory "praise" band, piano, and an organ that sometimes was played. But I didn't get the Love of God there. I got the feel good prosperity gospel, I didn't get what I needed. So I didn't join. When a lady said "Why don't you go to church with your husband?" I answered, I have been a member of the same church for over 30 years, and up to 2 months ago, so was he. I didn't see the need to uproot my children from what they knew just to make him look good. (and Amway is still a cult in my mind).
Anyway this book could be used for a church, it can be used alone, and it is interesting.

I joined a book club that is from a religious publisher who is also interested in social justice. Something sadly lacking in this country. I ordered 5 books and will pay for the deal. I will see what I like and if I want to continue. But I am interested in someday getting a masters degree focusing on the use of the liturgy and how it has developed from the ancient church thru today. 2000 years worth of prayer, praise and learning. The only thing I am dreading is that I have to pack all these books. I have to go and get some packing boxes and start with the bookshelves. How empty they will look. These are the days I wish I had an Ipad with Kindle.

So tonight I leave you with this:

May the Peace of the Lord Christ go with you: wherever he may send you;
may he guide you through the wilderness: protect you through the storm;
may he bring you home rejoicing: at the wonders he has shown you;
may he bring you home rejoicing: once again into our doors. 


Peace and good night.
da bunny

No comments:

Post a Comment