29 September, 2011

Sweet and Sour Green Beans


I mentioned on another blog that I made this quite often. So here's the recipe. Enjoy. 
Ingredients
  • 1/2 package bacon ( You could use turkey bacon but the flavor is not the same at all, it's the grease that gives it the zing, and for me the thicker the bacon the better the dish)
  • 1/2 onion, chopped--- a sweet onion is my favorite
  • 32 ounces french style green beans (or other green beans) That's 2 bags of frozen ones. 
  • 2 T vinegar--- I like Seasoned Rice Wine Vinegar and I like a little more if it's not zippy
  • 2 T sugar
  • salt and pepper to taste
Instructions
  1. Cut bacon into one inch segments. 
  2. Place bacon and onions in skillet. Cook over medium heat until browned, stirring often. Remove to plate.
  3.  Add beans to bacon grease and continue cooking over medium heat until they are to desired tenderness. 
  4. Add vinegar and sugar. Stir.
  5.  Add bacon and onions back and let simmer a few minutes, stirring often. 
  6. Salt and pepper to taste.
  7. Serve Hot. Can be reheated in a covered dish in the microwave.   

No comments:

Post a Comment