22 June, 2006

Dixie made me remember this..

I remember being able to run back and forth between houses separated by the alley. Playing olley olley oxen free and red light green light during the summer. Big back yards with lots of kids and big ole trees that were good for hiding.

Up north where the days lingered long and you waited impatiently for the sun to finally set so you could light your fireworks on July 4th.

Remembering the dog days of August when the lakes "bloomed" and you didn't go in the water until someone drove their boat through it to break it up.

We'd go with our next door neighbor who was our sitter in her Tbird to the River singing Johnny Angel at the top of our lungs. ( Her dad bought a brand new 1962 Tbird that summer).

We'd laugh and ride our bikes with no helmets, swam in the water or at the pool. Sat in the car without seat belts ( my brother fell out of the passenger seat of my dad's brand new patrol car while he was making a left turn...I got a spanking when I laughed), and were kids.

When I saw the house I lived in when I was a kid last summer, it looked smaller than I remembered. Then it seemed the front yard was huge and shoveling the driveway took forever. I don't think it would now.

Summer memories.
What fun.
CIao.

No comments:

Post a Comment